Sports Massage is the manipulation of the soft tissues. Different pressures are applied to the muscles, which are often deeper, more intense and focused than in traditional forms of massage.
Sports Massage can help speed up recovery time and prevent injuries. It is considered an important part of any rehabilitation program for injured athletes, alongside other therapies such as physiotherapy.
Many athletes of all levels deem a regular sports massage an integral part of their training and fitness regime.
Sports Massage has many possible benefits for anyone exercising on a regular basis. These benefits include:
- Muscle relaxation
- Improved flexibility
- Increased circulation and lymphatic drainage
- Reduced risk of DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)
- Aids recovery after strenuous exercise
- Reduced risk of injury by improving muscle function
- Promotes healing in injured soft tissues
- Reduced heart rate and blood pressure